We all know that google is currently on Panda update 1 trillion, however, most people are happy when they see a poultry figure of 1% or 1.5% of search being effected, and its not much right? Well i was doing some thinking.
1% can mean nothing, but it can also mean everything. Id like to presume that this 1% of search effected is also ‘Short Tail’ search. A couple of years ago, i paid a visit to an SEOMoz seminar in london, and one speaker refferenced a document, that claimed 80% of all search is long tail search leaving only 20% of search for the generic terms. This makes sence, after all, long tail traffic is what really boosts your visit numbers.
After performing a search today, it is claimed that google process 100M searches a month (i understand this will be across all platforms and sevices). 1% of this being 10M searches effected.
10 Million effected search terms is a figure that can effect most industries and lots of ‘money terms’ a website may be aiming for, so next time people dismiss 1% as a nothing figure you wouldnt notice, its probably had much more effect than you expect, after all, why would google push out an update, that doesnt really chage much?